In addition, as an invited speaker and author of papers, PhD examiner, adviser and organizer of conferences. Prof. Hu is active in the international academic world. In particular, she has very strong ties with China and has been liaising with the top universities in China to promote our research and programmes as well as recruit students. Her name is included in several international biographical publications. she was awarded by the Fibre Society of the USA for a Distinguished Achievements Award and Sang Ma Award from China.
MEng, China Textile University (CTU), Major: Textile Materials, Thesis Title: Evaluation of fabric hand (9/1983-1/1986), 1/1986
PhD, Textile Department, University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST), Thesis Title: Low-stress fabric mechanics and structure of woven fabrics (8/1990-8/1994), 8/1994
Area of Specialization (Teaching & Research)
- Teaching Specialities: Textile Materials, Textile Sciences, Hi-tech Textiles
- Research fields/Specialism: Shape Memory materials and textile/Textile materials
(a) Subjects Taught (for the past 3 years)
Year Subject title Level 2008-2009 Textile Material Sciences PhD Textile and Clothing Materials & Processing MSc Fabric Technology I and II BSc Advanced Textile Studies BSc 2007-2008 Textile Sciences: Textile Mechanics PhD Textile Material Sciences PhD Textile and Clothing Materials & Processing MSc Fabric Technology I and II BSc Fabric Technology I and II BSc Advanced Textile Studies MSc Hi-tech Textiles 2006-2007 Product Development Hi-tech Textiles Textile Materials PhD Textile Sciences: Textile Mechanics PhD Clothing and Textile Materials and Processes MSc Current Development in Textile Technology BSc
(b) Supervision of Research Postgraduate Students
Completed: 10 PhD (8 as Chief Supervisor, 2 as Co-Supervisor)
2 MPhil (1 as Chief Supervisor, 1 as Co-Supervisor)
Ongoing: 7 PhD (4 as Chief Supervisor, 3 as Co-Supervisor)
Study of Stimuli Responsive Shape Memory Cellulose Composites, RGC funding.(1 Jan 10 – 30 Jun 12)
研究開發具有形狀記憶特性的紡織產品 [Development of Textile Products with Shape Memory Fibers](Ref.: P09-0147), 廣東紡織服裝研究所 (Guangdong Institute for Garment Research and Development, RMB 150,000.(15 Nov 2009- 30 April 2011)
研究開發具有形狀記憶特性的內衣產品 [Development of Intimate Apparel and using Shape Memory Fibers] Ref.: P09-0129), Zhejiang Heng Mei Company Ltd., RMB 100,000. (10 Oct 2009-9 Oct 2010).
Study of Multi-responsive and Multi-functional Shape Memory Polymers for Intelligent Textiles and Apparel, UGC Funding (1 May 2008- 30 April 11)
Development of Shape Memory Wool Garment (Ref.: P06-0065), Australian Wool Innovation Limited, AUD 463,000. (7 Jul 2006- 30 Aug 2007)
Publications / Exhibitions
- Han J.P., Zhu Y., Hu J.L., Luo H.S., Yeung L.Y., Li W.G., Meng Q.H., Ye G.D., Zhang S. and Fan Y. (2012). Morphology, reversible phase crystallization, and thermal sensitive shape memory effect of cellulose whisker/SMPU nano-composites. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 123(2), 749 - 762
- Luo H.S., Hu J.L. and Zhu Y. (2011). Tunable shape recovery of polymeric nano-composites, Materials Letters, 65(23-24), 3583 – 3585
- Chen S.J., Hu J.L. and Zhuo H.T. (2011). Study on the moisture absorption of pyridine containing polyurethane for moisture-responsive shape memory effects, Journal of Materials Science, 46(20): 6581 – 6588
- Luo H.S., Hu J.L. and Zhu Y. (2011). Polymeric Shape Memory Nanocomposites with Heterogeneous Twin Switches, Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, 212(18), 1981 – 1986
- Chen S.J., Hu J.L., Zhuo H.T. and Chen S.G. (2011). Effect of MDI-BDO hard segment on pyridine-containing shape memory polyurethanes, Journal of Materials Science, 46(15), 5294 – 5304
- Ji F.L. and Hu J.L. (2011). Comparison of shape memory polyurethanes and polyurethane-ureas having crystalline reversible phase, High Performance Polymers, 23(4), 314 – 325
- Chen S.J., Hu J.L., Chen S.G. and Zhang C.L. (2011). Study on the structure and morphology of supramolecular shape memory polyurethane containing pyridine moieties, Smart Materials & Structures, 20(6), 065003
- Zhuo H.T., Hu J.L. and Chen S.J. (2011). Study of water vapor permeability of shape memory polyurethane nanofibrous nonwovens, Textile Research Journal, 81(9), 883 – 891
- Ji F.L., Hu J.L. and Han J.P. (2011). Shape memory polyurethane-ureas based on isophorone diisocyanate, High Performance Polymers, 23(3), 177 - 187
- Zhuo H.T., Hu J.L. and Chen S.J. (2011). Study of the thermal properties of shape memory polyurethane nanofibrous nonwoven, Journal of Materials Science, 46(10), 3464 – 3469
- Ma L., Baciu G., Hu J.L. and Zhang J.H. (2011). A novel weave pattern encoding method using neighbor information and its applications, Textile Research Journal, 81(6), 632 – 648
- Zhuo H.T., Hu J.L. and Chen S.J. (2011). Coaxial electrospun polyurethane core-shell nanofibers for shape memory and antibacterial nanomaterials, Express Polymer Letters, 5(2), 182-187
- Xin, B.J., Hu, J.L., Baciu, G. and Yu, X.B. (2011). Development of Weave Code Technology for Textile Products. Fibres & Textiles in Eastern Europe, 19(2), 33-35
- Zhuo, H.T., Hu, J.L., and Chen, S.J. (2011). Study of the thermal properties of shape memory polyurethane nanofibrous nonwoven. Journal of Materials Science, 46(10), 3464 -3469
- Lu, J. and Hu, J. L. (2010). Study on the Properties of Core Spun Yarn and Fabrics of Shape Memory Polyurethane. Fibres & Textiles in Eastern Europe, 18(4), 39 - 42
- Zhang, C.L., Hu, J.L., Chen, S.J. and Ji, F.L. (2010). Theoretical Study of Hydrogen Bonding Interactions on MDI-based Polyurethane. Journal of Molecular Modeling, 18(8), 1391 – 1399
- Ng, M.C.F., Wang, X.Q., Hu, J.L. and Szeto, Y.C. (2010). Shapeable Stretch Textiles via Weaves for Seamless Woven Fashion. Textile Research Journal, 80(12), 1191 – 1200
- Chen, S.J., Hu, J.L., Zhuo, H.T., Yuen, C.W.M. and Chan, L.K. (2010). Study on the Thermal-induced Shape Memory Effect of Pyridine Containing Supramolecular Polyurethane. Polymer, 51, 240-248
- Chen, S.J., Hu, J.L., Yuen, C.W. M. and Chan, L.K. (2010). Fourier-transform Infrared Study of Supramolecular Polyurethane Networks Containing Pyridine Moieties for Shape Memory Materials. Polymer International, 59, 529-538
- Chen, S.J., Hu, J.L., Yuen, C.W., Chan, L. and Zhuo, H.T. (2010). Triple Shape Memory Effect in Multiple Crystalline Polyurethanes. Polymers for Advanced Technologies, 21, 377-380
- Chen, S.J., Hu, J.L., Yuen C.W.M. and Chan, L.K. (2010). Supramolecular polyurethane networks containing pyridine moieties for shape memory materials. Materials Letters, 59, 529-538
- Hu, J.L. and Chen, S.J. (2010). A Review of Actively Moving Polymers in Textile Applications. Journal of Materials Chemistry, 20, 3346-3355
- Meng, Q.H. and Hu, J.L. (2010). A Brief Review of Stimulus-active Polymers Responsive to Thermal, Light, Magnetic, Electric, and Water/solvent Stimuli. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 21, 859-885
- Chen, S.J., Hu, J.L. and Zhuo, H.T. (2010). Properties and mechanism of two-way shape memory polyurethane composites, Composites Science and Technology, 70 (10), 1437
- Hu, J.L., Jin G.X., Lu, J. and Wang, J. (2010). Development of Thermo-sensitive Shape-memory Fabric and Research of Arching Recovery, Cotton Textile Technology, 7, 409-410
- Chen, S.J., Hu, J.L., Yuen, C.W.M. and Chan, L.K. (2009). Novel Moisture-sensitive Shape Memory Polyurethanes Containing Pyridine Moieties. Polymer, 50, 4424-4428
- Chen, S.J., Hu, J.L., Yuen, C.W.M. and Chan, L.K. (2009). Supramolecular Polyurethane Networks Containing Pyridine Moieties for Shape Memory Materials. Materials Letters, 63, 1462-1464
- Liu, B.H, Hu, J.L. & Meng, Q.H. (2009). Nonwoven Supported Temperature-sensitive Poly(N-isopropylacrylamide)/Polyurethane Copolymer Hydrogel with Antibacterial Activity. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Part B - Applied Biomaterials, 89B: 1-8.
- Meng, Q.H and Hu, J.L. (2009). A Review of Shape Memory Polymer Composites and Blends. Composites Part A, 40, 1661-1672
- Meng, Q.H., Hu, J.L., Liu, B.H. & Zhu, Y. (2009). Properties of Shape Memory Polyurethane Ionomer as a Low Temperature Thermoplastic Antibacterial Orthotic Material: Influence of Ionic Group. Journal of Biomaterials Science-Polymer Edition, 20, 199-218
Academic Awards and Other Achievements
2000 Outstanding Scientists 2008/2009 – Textile Science and Technology, International Biographical Centre (IBC), Cambridge, England.
Research Award, Golden Award of “Fabric Structure Analysis and Appearance Evaluation System-FabricEye”, 6th China International Invention Exhibition Inventions (IEIS), Suzhou, China, 16th-19th October 2008
Most Valued Project Award for Development of Shape Memory Wool Garment, Outstanding Professional Services & Innovation Awards, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 2007.
Highest International Consultancy Award for Development of Shape Memory Wool Garment, Outstanding Professional Services & Innovation Awards, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 2007.
First-Class Prize, Sang Ma Trust Fund Textile Science and Technology Award, Oct 2006. (桑麻科技一等奖, 10/2006. 中国天津.)
Silver Award, Shape Memory Fabrics and their Preparation Methods, 53rd World Exhibition of Innovation, Research and New Technology in Brussels Eureka 2004 (38th World Eureka Invention Expo.) Nov. 2004.
Gold Award, Advanced Automatic Fabric Appearance Evaluation System, 14th National Inventions Exhibition of China, October 2003.
Distinguished Achievement Award in Basic or Applied Fiber Science by The Fiber Society (In recognition of her contributions to fiber science, particularly for her studies on fabric structure and mechanical properties of textiles), USA, 31 October 2001.