Starting from the triennium 2005/2008, all students have to take Work Integrated Education as a compulsory training. Work-Integrated Education (WIE) is “work-based learning experiences which take place in an organizational context relevant to a student's future profession, or the development of generic skills that will be valuable in that profession.” Its objective is to help students develop a range of valuable generic attributes and to apply theories to real-life situations.
WIE programme is a compulsory component of full-time bachelor degree programme. All WIE activities must be approved by the Department prior to the start date. In order to be eligible for graduation, students must complete and get PASS in the WIE activities. Students are reminded to submit all the required documents on time.
What activities can count towards the WIE?
- The job nature and activities of the WIE must be structured and measurable learning experience in an organizational context relevant to students' future profession in fashion & textiles industry;
- The minimum duration of WIE placement/internship must be 120 hours;
- All WIE activities must be finished and obtained PASS grade during the time of study at the university. Students are highly recommended to complete the WIE before promoting to the final year of study.
Application for WIE placement / Internship
How to source internship or part-time job experience?
Support from the Department
- WIE placement/internship opportunities will be informed students through internal email. Students are highly recommended to check the student email regularly.
- Students can apply the placement/internship by email with an updated CV before the stipulated deadline.
- A shortlist of application will be provided to the employers for further consideration and interview. Selected candidates for interviews will be notified by email/phone from the employers or the Department.
- Support from the Student Affairs Office (SAO)
SAO offers possible programmes to fulfill WIE requirements, e.g. Preferred Graduate Development Programme (PGDP). Please note that all placement/internship opportunities are subject to the approval by the Department. Only approved activities will be counted towards the WIE programme.
- Sourced by student
All jobs sourced by students have to be approved by the Department before starting work. Only approved activities will be counted towards the WIE programme and covered by the Top-up Group Personal Accident insurance for WIE activities.
Students must pass the assessment on the approved WIE activities in order to be able to graduate. Students’ performance will be assessed via the self-reflection from students and the feedback from workplace supervisors. A "PASS" or "FAIL" grade is recommended by the academic supervisors subsequently.
Employer involvement is important to monitor student learning progress and give appraisal at the end of internship period. Appraisals prepared by the workplace supervisors will provide comments on students' performance at work. Basic and generic competency in workplace will be assessed.
Here are the required documents from students and employers:
- WIE Approval & Learning Agreement Form (to be submitted before starting work)
- WIE Self Assessment Report (to be submitted at the end of the work)
- WIE Work Objective Form (to be submitted before starting work)
- WIE Final Assessment Report (to be submitted at the end of the work)
Submission Timeline and Procedures
|7 Working Days
Before Starting Work
All students must submit WIE Approval & Learning Agreement Form to the WIE Coordinator for the Department’s approval at least 7 working days before the start of the placement. The form is applicable to the jobs sourced from the Department, SAO, PGDP programme and by students,
The result will be notified by e-mail within 2 weeks after the day of request received. Only the approved internship/placement will be considered as WIE records.
|Within 2 Weeks
After Starting Work
Once you start working, students should invite their workplace supervisors to fill in WIE Work Objective Form and return it within 2 weeks after the start of the placement.
|Within 2 Weeks
After Finishing Work
Students should pass WIE Final Assessment Report to their workplace supervisors when it is nearly the end of the placement/internship.
For students who have applied for grant and loan, please submit Graduation-tied Placement Income Report to report the income from the initial 30 hours of internship/placement to the Student Financial Assistance Agency (SFAA).
For WIE Assessment
|To be completed by student|
|1. WIE Approval & Learning Agreement Form||Download|
|2. WIE Self Assessment Report||Download|
|To be completed by employer|
|3. WIE Work Objective Form||Download|
|4. WIE Final Assessment Report||Download|
Post a Job
For companies that wish to join our WIE programme and offer placement/internship opportunities to ITC students, please fill in the WIE Registration Form and return it to us via e-mail or by fax.
Fax: 2773 1432